Same old scammers, new twist.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Same old scammers, new twist.

Post  Daeshala on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:46 am

We know some other guilds read our welcome section from time to time. It has come up in another of our forums that someone is impersonating a GM and asking people to relog to "refresh their account" or some such nonsense. I just wanted to make people aware that this person is (obviously) not a GM, and I have no idea what's going on but just in case they are somehow working out login information this way, please be aware and don't do it. The following image is a crop of a screen shot provided by Sarah98.

Please pass this along if you feel it's worth notice. I'm honestly not sure how strongly to regard this. The act of relogging your own account without being told to click a link or download anything seems benign enough someone might do it without thinking. Zverca pointed out to us that in order to be able to sniff the login information, the hacker would need the IP of origin and destination. The destination is publicly available thanks to toromine and I remember hearing some people were able to glean IP's from the client simply by trading with someone.
At any rate, this just looks plain weird, and I just wanted to put it where it could be seen and interpreted by a wider community (without the unconstructive trolling that occurs on gPotato forums). If you see this and feel it needs to be elevated to gPotato let me know.

Its not when you get there, its what you do when you get there.
"Great spirits have always encountered
violent opposition from mediocre minds."
              - Albert Einstein
Daeshala

Back to top Go down

Re: Same old scammers, new twist.

Post  Zyppora on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm thinking it's a social engineering thing. IP addresses don't relate to usernames/passwords and ingame-nicks don't match those either. Even a network sniffer shouldn't technically be able to retrieve any sensitive information since if nFlavor has any kind of brains the login credentials at logon are encrypted before they're sent to the server.

Once you restart the client, they'll probably say: we still can't see your account, please change your password/email address to [scam].

Then again, I'm not a guru on internet safety. Don't do it, and report it to GPotato, is my advice.
Zyppora

Back to top Go down

Post  LuckyBreed on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:04 am

Yeah the same person PMed me yesterday, asking to log off, tell her my login ID and Email, can't fall for that since she doesn't have a GM tag.
LuckyBreed

http://www.fcbaltai.lt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top